Saturday, January 28, 2012

Day 28 "My Corona"

The meeting of the minds is a very important activity in any artist's life, and it happens less than it should, perhaps just another casualty of the technological war that keeps apart, yet keeps us intrusively in each other's faces from a distance?
We all dream of something bigger, achieving something more, forcing ourselves back into relevance, and as we sit in a pub with Danbox drinking Corona's and shooting tequila shots; we actually think we are closer to achieving our goals than we are.
We start the conversation out slow and uncomfortable. No one knows what to say or how to say it, but we all know that this meeting better produce something more than potential options of creative paths that we could, but I know that we most likely won't take.
Everyone is an artist, everyone has the ability to achieve something amazing in this limited lifespan, but most of us will think about it and analyze ourselves out of actually trying any of these great things.
I am not at all an exception to this rule either, in fact I am pretty much the definition of this weakness in the artist mind.
Sure I have accomplished a few things of note, but ask anyone who knows the many projects that I have under wraps, and they will tell you that I should be much further ahead than a current day-by-day blog concerning my new friend Danbox.
But who am I to say that this project is not great? Danbox is helping me reach out and through the darkness, through the loneliness...and through to you.
Didn't I have a novel I was working on? A stage-play that I wrote when I was twenty-one that still needs its final edit? How many unfinished songs that I wrote and left in silence?
Did I not paint once?
Did I not have a comic with multiple inked pages already shown to the public?
Did I not once choose to walk many paths, only to walk away to find another?
Such is the life of an artist though, constantly inspired then demotivated, then sidetracked, then overwhelmed, then apathetic, then intimidated, then confused, then inspired again...and on and on and on. The process bears more fruit when you stay on any path long enough, and it is the walking away from a great idea that makes it a bad one.
However, this all really comes down to instinct. We all have it, and we all know if we can achieve it, and we are given all the tools necessary to achieve our visions.
I know this all sounds good and proper, all this motivational and thoughtful dialogue concerning what an artist can be, should be, and how to be one properly, but really it come down to just getting up off your lazy and defeated ass, and telling that critic on your shoulder that whispers in your ear, "that you are not good enough" to just "fuck off!"
It also doesn't hurt to have a few drinks in the process either. One more for the road we want to stumble down.
"Cheers Danbox!"

1 comment: