The last hours of light in a day always seem filled with a sense of
melancholy, like watching an old friend say good bye…for perhaps the last time;
so unlike the early morning hours that give me a sense of potential
contentment.
I try to appreciate what I have when I have it, but at the end of the
day, when I catch those last few moments of soft light, I realize that I have
taken some things for granted yet again.
I don't beat myself up for doing this anymore, for making the mistake of
slipping back into auto-pilot and coasting through my days...not like I used to anyway.
Now I set goals to reach on a daily basis, and I take time every day to
embrace the concept of being alive, by acknowledging the gift of this life, if
only for a few moments.
Life is by no means easy, and it is made even harder by losing the
things and people that we love, and by having to watch each day pass into dull
history faster than we can possibly learn to accept.
I know that this curse of the fading day is not mine alone, but ego demands
that I share this emptiness with no one. I know that these sunny days may come
back, and that there is no point in spending too much time in the sad undertow
of the dying day…but I know that this day will never come again, I know that
this day will stay lost forever now.
In our memory the past will take its place, and in our hearts our future
desires rest.
I know that nothing is lost completely, and nothing, not even the dying
light of a beautiful sunny day is dead eternally.
We should smile for the moments that we have, and for the moments we
were blessed to have…we should smile for the hope that we might have even a
moment more.
We have much to be thankful for, and proper perspective of the life we
get to experience is needed if we are going to stop wasting the day.
We can allow ourselves to feel sad for the ending of a sunny day, or we
can learn to embrace the night, and smile for the knowledge that at least we
had one sunny day left to experience...and
if that is all we ever had, then at least we had that last one.

No comments:
Post a Comment