I am starting to lose track of how many times Danbox puts himself in hot
water through the actions of his curiosities.
I am starting to think he may choose to do these things in order to challenge
the potential struggle.
For most of us we try to avoid any potential danger along the road by
carefully stepping out of harm’s way every chance that we get. For most of us the
payoff never gets the proper respect it deserves, and for many of us the prize
lies in avoidance.
I watch how the little box man climbs a tree without a care in the
world, and apparently no fear of the potential date with gravity he might have
soon. I have no idea why he feels the need to do this, I just know that there
is no stopping Danbox when he puts his attention and focus towards
something.
I watch as he climbs higher and higher, and as my own curiosity sets in
I watch him for a few moments as he takes on this potential pitfall, this
potential dangerous mistake.
I watch because he doesn't want any help from anyone, and if he does he
isn’t showing it. If I have learned anything from Danbox, it is the importance
of challenging yourself without the safety and need for others. It is knowing
that you do not need approval to carry on with your sense of adventure, and
that we must carry on with it without fail.
He climbs higher and higher, and from this height the fall would easily scatter
the little box man all over the hard ground below, but this doesn’t seem to
bother him in the least. Danbox grabs the end of a long leafy branch and pulls
it back all the way until the tip reaches his hands...this can't end well.
I can see the strain on his little frame as he tries to hold on to this
branch that wants so desperately to fling itself back in to its known shape.
I watch for a second knowing that he may actually get hurt this time, I
panic a bit, and naturally out of instinct I start to make my way over to him,
in the hope that I can help get him out of this mess, that I can save him from
such a fall.
Quickening my pace now, I see Danbox lose his grip and fall towards the
unforgiving ground below, only to get tangled upside down by his own feet!
Halfway over to Danbox and I see his eyes light up bright, and for the
first time I hear something I have not heard before from my little friend; I
can hear a small voice laughing out loud!
I assumed he was scared, that he needed help, and here tangled in a mess
of bright green vines was a fearless little box man enjoying the adventure. I
can hear his laughter become more of a giggle and it is quite clear that he is
very pleased with himself.
After a few more moments pass he quiets down and stares straight over to
me, and I know what he is trying to say with those lit up eyes...at least I think I know?
He looks at me with those alien eyes of his, and he seems to be telling
me not to worry so much, that there is still time for play, time for danger,
and time for laughter.
I soak in the image of Danbox tangled in a tree upside down for just a
moment longer, and I can't help but to laugh at how silly he looks tangled in
the branches of this tree, and he ends up laughing with me as well.
After the laughter subsided I helped Danbox down from the impressive
height, and it was clear that he received the experience he desired.
I could only find the words to say "Thank you",
and at this he stopped and stared up at me as if to hear the rest.
"Thank you Danbox, for reminding me that I should not be so quick
to assume that my fears and worries are all leading me to places of pain and
ruin, and that sometimes when challenged, they can lead to laughter and
happiness instead".
At this he nodded his approval, and we continued the rest of our walk in
positive silence.

No comments:
Post a Comment