Friday, May 25, 2012

Day 146 "Time To Stray"

I asked Danbox to walk with me today, and as usual, he offered his companionship without question or without need for debate…if only everyone could appreciate the company of another with such ease, or understand the urgency of what is not being said, and right now the little box man can hear my silence loud and clear.
With no specific direction in mind we stepped back out into the world together, far away from the city streets buzzing with noise and stress, and with every step my thoughts sought to trip me up yet another time.
Knowing that a thought left without a voice will only scream inside your own head, I spoke out loud and almost startled Danbox off the ledge he was walking upon.
“I am unsure of everything now Danbox”
He kept his silence, and I knew that this was not from having nothing to say, but more of a sign of respect that he understood the importance of listening right now.
“Every direction from where I am standing feels like a path meant for someone else”.
At this the little box man jumped both feel into a puddle, while always staring over to me to assure me that I knew he was listening. I was questioning why he didn’t stop and listen? Why didn’t he act like what I was saying was more important than his fun?
We walked for what felt like hours like this, with me asking the open air questions that I thought were important, all the while Danbox acting as if they were not.
All this time I was walking and focusing on my own inner dialogue I forgot to pay attention to where we were going, and now the only answer that I could definitely say that I knew was that I knew we were lost.
Somehow I managed to overlook the importance of mapping out our direction, and now my instinct was fighting hard to push me back towards the desire of finding my way back home...somewhere I know, somewhere I think I know.
I turned around to retrace my steps in the hopes of finding my way back to something familiar, but Danbox had other plans…
He broke out in to a full run into the forests edge, and all I could do was chase him inside. I found him standing before a large tree, and I watched as he climbed what must have been to him an impossible height, yet he made it seem more than possible right now. Right now he acted as if he was compelled by something more important than any sort of safety or comfort.
Right now I understood that even though I had no destination in mind, Danbox most certainly did.
Half way up this large tree he stopped on a branch and pointed to me, then over to something I could not see.
I only wanted to go for a walk, I only wanted to hear myself talk…I only wanted what I thought I wanted.
Not one to take no for an answer, I accepted the challenge of the little box man and climbed the tree as well. After a few moments of less than graceful climbing I finally made my way to where he was and I looked over to what he was pointing at...nothing familiar, nothing even remotely familiar.
"I think we should head back now little buddy" I said to him a bit shaken by the idea of staying lost in this forest...but he pointed even more aggressively in the direction, and then in a few other directions as well.
I knew what he was trying to tell me, he was telling me that there is more out there than home, that I should not be so quick to make it back to safety and comfort, and that if I keep to only the streets I have chosen to ever walk, that I will end up missing out on the potential of everything.
I know that he may be right, it probably is time that I start to stray a bit further outside my own comfort zone.
I must start allowing myself to walk all these alien paths with no potential place for the history of me.
I know he is right…it must be time focus on getting lost.

At this awakening the little box man made his way down and waited for me, he placed his hand out to reach mine and I knew he was leading me out of here…but what I didn’t know was where he was leading me to?

No comments:

Post a Comment